P. O. Box 1589
400 West 19th Street
Jasper, AL 35501
Phone 205-221-2100

History of Jasper

Lorenzo Dow established the first trading post in the area now containing the City of Jasper in the early 1800's.  In 1822, Dr. Gordon Musgrove donated the land for the town and built a log cabin that served as the courthouse, school and church. The town was named by Hugh Lollar in memory of the Revolutionary War hero Sgt. William Jasper who distinguished himself at the Battle of Fort Moultrie, South Carolina. 

The City of Jasper was incorporated in 1887 with G. H. “Jake” Guttery serving as its first Mayor. Jasper serves as the county seat of Walker County and is located in the middle of the Warrior Coal Fields, the second largest in the nation. Jasper sits on or near the Bankhead Highway and the new Interstate 22.

Jasper has been home to many famous families such as the Bankheads which include United States Congressmen, United States Senators, and a Speaker of the House of Representatives during the administration of Franklin Roosevelt.  This family along with Carl Elliott of Jasper, whose home here has been turned into a historical museum, Tom Bevill of Jasper & Carter Manasco of Townley make up more than a century (110 years 1887 - 1997) of continuous service by Walker Countians in the United States Congress.

Jasper was once the home of Alabama Central Railroad, transportation for lumber and coal during the years of the steam engine train

Former Mayors

  1. J. M. Phillips  - 1913

  2. A. S. Preston  - 1914-1918

  3. Rufus A. O’Rear - 1918-1920

  4. J. H. Cranford - 1920-1926

  5. H. P. Gibson - 1926-1928

  6. J. H. Cranford - 1928-1932

  7. John G. Burton - 1932-1946

  8. J. T. Jackson - 1946-1949

  9. F. A. Brotherton - 1949

  10. George S. Hiller - 1949-1955

  11. James L. Beech - 1955-1958

  12. Herman W. Maddox - 1958-1970

  13. Jack Moore Brown - 1970-1979

  14. John C. "Jack" Nicholson - 1979-1984

  15. Penn L. Woods, Sr. - 1984-1996

  16. Donald R. Goetz - 1996-2004

  17. V. L. “Sonny” Posey - 2004-2016

  18. David P. O’Mary - 2016-Present

History of City Hall

 

The current Jasper City Hall was constructed starting in 1917 and completed in 1919 for the sum of $91,328.  It was originally built to house the United States Post Office which it served as until the late 1960’s. It was purchased by the City of Jasper in 1968 to serve as its City Hall. Two major renovations have taken place, first completed in 1969 during the terms of Mayor Herman Maddox and Commissioners Ellis Haynes, T. D. Norris and Nelson Clark.  The second completed in 1989 during the terms of Mayor Penn L. Woods and Council Members D. Joe Gambrell, Percy Goode, Ellis Haynes, Ray McLendon and Lee Swann.  The City Hall houses the Mayor’s Office, City Clerk and staff and Municipal Court.  Because of the growth in City operations, a building located adjacent to City Hall was renovated in 2008 as an Annex to house the Building Inspection, Planning and Public Works administration.


Thanks to Pat Morrison for sharing this from his
historical post card collection.


Annex Behind City Hall



Jasper Civic Center - Acquired 2016 

 

 

twitter share

The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by City of Jasper, Alabama and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of City of Jasper. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, City of Jasper takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
© 2017 City of Jasper
Back to Top